I have to share with you all something I’ve been doing for the past few weeks. I went to a local organic grocery store and signed up for their “bin service”. With this service, you give them a dollar amount and then each week they have a bin of delicious organic produce for you. You can choose to have it delivered or picked up. I am LOVING this!
Why do I love it so? Let me count the ways.
1) It’s convenient. I have an assortment of fruits and veg waiting for me in a container labeled with my name. I pick it up. I take it home. The end.
2) It’s introducing new things to our dinner table. I haven’t received anything too exotic yet but there have been a few things in there that I don’t normally buy. It’s neat to have more variety of fruits and veggies in our diet. It’s making me try new things and expand on my current veggie recipes.
3) It’s all organic. Organic produce is getting easier to find in most centres but you usually have a limited selection. I can always find organic apples, lettuce, carrots and bananas but green beans, canteloupe, oranges, etc. are a little harder to find. Until now.
4) I like the mystery. The surprise. Each week the girls and I go to pick up our bin and get in the car and root through it like it’s a treasure chest. “What did we get this week?!” I holler into the backseat and then start calling out names of the fruits and veggies in our bin.
5) It’s actually saving me money. I didn’t expect that. But the produce is such high quality that it lasts a bit longer, ripens properly and is always delish. From the regular grocery store I’m constantly buying peaches that never ripen, tasteless necatarines that just get thrown out, bananas that somehow just go from green to brown, skipping the yellow stage all together. I’m throwing a whole lot less out.
6) In the winter I may choose to go with the delivery option and pay a couple extra dollars a week so I don’t have to leave the house. How sweet is that?
7) It’s supporting a local business and Canadian grown produce.
8 ) It’s peaked Abby (and Jordan’s!) interest in fruits and veggies. They are eager to try the new things I bring home.
So that’s it. I’m really enjoying this. The picture above is my bin from today. Lettuce, tomatoes, nectarines, plums, apples, oranges, yellow beans, canteloupe, carrots, bananas. yum!